Computers for Schools refurbishes computers so that they can be reused by schools, libraries, and non profit organizations within our communities. We refurbish hundreds of computers each year so everyone has the opportunity to expand their knowledge about technology. The program has played an important role in increasing access to technology for all Canadians.
CFS-NWT has refurbished and distributed over 6000 computers to people all across Northwest Territories. Across Canada, Computers for Schools programs have distributed over 1.3 MILLION computers since our inception in 1993.
There are many benefits to using CFS equipment
- greater ability to stretch IT budgets for equipment
- equipment is shipped “classroom ready” complete with CPU, LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse and Windows 7 operating system
- reusing technology extends the useful life of assets
- provides valuable work experience to youth and volunteers
- provides opportunity for business and government to support NWT education system and an excellent way to support reduce, REUSE, recycle!
Computers for Schools is delivered in the Northwest Territories by Smart Communities Society, whose mission is to broaden community access to knowledge resources by developing and championing sustainable community initiatives and applications using Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) that enhance transformative social, cultural, educational, and economic opportunities throughout the North.
Smart Communities Society is seeking applicants for Industry Canada’s Youth Internship Program available in Yellowknife and across the communities in NWT
To qualify, applicants must be:
• Between the ages of 15 and 30 at the time of intake
• Must have more than secondary school achievement who intends to acquire digital skills and knowledge
• A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or legally entitled to work in Canada
• Not receiving Employment Insurance benefits
Preferably looking for candidates with:
• Customer service skills
• Administrative and office skills include stated digital-related activities
• Experience using Microsoft office
Starting date: October 15, 2016
Program ends: March 31, 2017
Work term: 600 hours approximately 16 weeks
Rate of pay: $15.00 per hour
Please send Application to:
Fax: 867 766 3983
Attn: Amrik Kanwal, Project Manager