Each year, CFS-NWT provides paid work experience opportunities to youth, seeking a career in the IT field through the Technical Work Experience Program, an initiative of the Computers for Schools program. Hardware Technicians refurbish computers for distribution to NWT schools and other learning organizations. Working with CFS-NWT exposes technical interns to many makes and models of computer equipment. This allows youth to hone their hardware expertise and develop critical team-building, communication, and mentorship skills.
While at Computers for Schools, hardware technicians will:
- repair and refurbish computer equipment,
- sort and test computer software,
- prepare and package computers for shipment
- provide technical support to local schools
- assist in designing and delivering workshops to the Aboriginal/ First Nations people and communities.
Prerequisites to Apply at the Time of Intake/Selection:
- Youth must be between the ages 15 – 30 (inclusive)
- A student who has demonstrated skills achievement at the post-secondary level
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Not in receipt of Employment Insurance (IE) benefits
The rate of pay is $15.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay. Work terms are typically 900 hours (24 weeks).
In addition to practical, marketable work experience, each young technician will be allowed and encouraged to search for full-time work